Oil Extraction and Analysis: Critical Issues and Comparative Studies
This book contains papers from the symposium "Critical Issues, Current and Emerging Technologies for Determination of Crude Fat Content in Food, Feed and Seeds," held in 2003 at the AOCS Annual Meeting in Kansas City, Missouri. The topics covered give a broad perspective of the challenges and issues of the value-added enhanced products. This book will be of interest to biotechnology professionals, processors, scientists, nutritionists, economists, new product development and business professionals, official agencies, and others actively engaged in the development and marketing of value-added products.
Section I: Introduction
- The Commercial Significance of Oil Content Analysis: The Position of Official Methods
Section II: Reference Methods for Crude Fat Determination
- Soxtec: Its Principles and Applications
- Accelerated Solvent Extraction
- Evaluation of the Rapid, High-Temperature Extraction of Feeds, Foods, and Oilseeds by the ANKOMXT20 Fat Analyzer to Determine Crude Fat/Oil Content
- Analytical Supercritical Fluid Extraction for Food Applications
Section III: Comparative Evaluation of Primary Reference Methods and Issues Related to Oil Analysis
- Oil Content Analysis: Myths and Reality
- Effect of Moisture Content, Grinding, and Extraction Technologies on Assays of Crude Fat
Section IV: Secondary Methods for Crude Fat Analysis
- The Rapid Determination of Fat and Moisture in Foods by Microwave Drying and NMR Analysis
- Simple Methods for Total Oil Content by Benchtop NMR
- Internet-Enabled Near-Infrared Analysis for Oil Seeds
Section V: Emerging Technologies
- High-Resolution Nuclear Infrared Reflectance (NIR) Determination of Oil, Soybean, Protein, and Amino Acid Residues in Soybean Seeds
- Near Infrared Microspectroscopy, Fluorescence Microspectroscopy, Infrared Chemical Imaging, and High-Resolution Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Analysis of Soybean Seeds, Somatic Embryos and Single Cells
Copyright © 2004 AOCS Press. 288 pages.
Hardbound. ISBN 1-893997-78-2.
Stock No. 10670