- Posters should stimulate discussion, not give a long presentation. Therefore, keep text to a minimum, emphasize graphics and make sure every item is necessary.
- Include the title of your presentation. AOAC INTERNATIONAL will not post the abstract titles on display boards.
- Prepare as many individual poster display pieces as required (four to eight is standard) to outline your work clearly and concisely. For collaborative studies, you may choose to include the purpose of the study, the experimental design, results, conclusions and recommendations. Space your information proportionally.
- Use large and legible lettering that is easily readable from a distance of 3 feet or more. Text material should be printed from a laser printer with a font size large enough to read from a distance. Simple use of color can be used to add emphasis if needed.
- Photographs, illustrations and graphics are encouraged, and should be at least 9”x12” to ensure visibility.
- Optional Materials: If you wish, you may prepare handouts for distribution to interested scientists. Some authors may also wish to provide business cards/contact information for the daylong display times.
- For additional assistance in preparing your poster, there are a number of excellent resources available online. Online printing options are also available if needed. For more information, type “poster preparation guidelines” into your search engine.
- All abstracts must be submitted via CATALYST, the online submission site. Abstracts sent via mail or email cannot be accepted.
- Only completed Poster abstracts with all required information will be considered for publication and presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- Paper titles or abstracts without complete contact information will not be accepted.
- Changes will not be possible after the final submission deadline of July 8, 2021.
- Abstract body only. Do not include title, authors, references, credits, or grant support.
- Use only text. You will not be able to enter graphs, charts, diagrams, boxes, borders, or tables.
- Do not include keywords. AOAC does not publish a keywords index in the Final Program.
- All abstracts must use correct grammar and punctuation. Proofread carefully for formatting, spelling, and grammar. Abstracts will be published exactly as submitted.
- Abstracts dealing with commercial products or services must have a scientific emphasis and should not be submitted for promotion purposes.
- Special Characters: In most cases, Greek letters and other special characters will transfer from your word processing software. The “Ω” special character palette is available if needed.
- Character Limit: There is a limit of 1,500 characters for the body text (including spaces) of your abstract submission.
Display Board Size
In-person poster display boards are 4 feet (1.2 meters) vertically by 8 feet (2.4 meters) horizontally and are supported by legs extending to the floor. Display materials may be affixed to the boards with push pins or Velcro (provided on-site at the meeting.)
Only poster authors attending the in-person meeting will be assigned a numbered display board. Poster numbers for submitted abstracts will be assigned by July 15, 2021.
JAOAC Poster Publication
Poster presenters are encouraged to submit full Journal papers along with their posters, for consideration of publication in the Journal of AOAC INTERNATIONAL. These submissions will undergo Journal peer review, and if accepted, the papers will be published in the online Journal and in print. For more information, contact Jennifer Diatz, [email protected], at the AOAC Publications Department. Submissions for the Journal must accompany the poster presentations.
Transporting Poster Materials
If attending in person, please hand-carry your poster materials to the meeting. Do not mail your poster to the meeting site or to AOAC INTERNATIONAL. The author is responsible for all poster materials.