The Rising Star Award, supported by contributions from SCIEX, is designed to encourage the integration of graduate students into AOAC INTERNATIONAL, with a focus on candidates with demonstrable potential to become thought leaders and scientific influencers in their respective field.
- $3,500 USD cash prize
- Financial support for travel and lodging to the AOAC INTERNATIONAL Annual Meeting (maximum $2,500 USD)
- One-year AOAC INTERNATIONAL student membership
- Registration to attend the AOAC INTERNATIONAL Annual Meeting
- Invitation to VIP events held by SCIEX at the AOAC INTERNATIONAL Annual Meeting
- Formal recognition in front of hundreds of analytical science leaders at the Annual Meeting opening session
- Coverage in the AOAC bi-monthly magazine, Inside Laboratory Management (ILM)
- Opportunity to showcase their work during a regularly scheduled poster session at the Annual Meeting
Winners will be expected to prepare a poster to describe the research that earned them the award. Applicants must also agree that AOAC may share their contact details with SCIEX for the purpose of SCIEX-related marketing (i.e., features on social channels, etc.).
- Graduate students enrolled full-time in a degree-granting program that are in at least the second year of their program (domestic and international candidates are encouraged to apply)
- Must be conducting basic or applied research using LC-MS technology in support of analytical testing for food safety, foodomics, food authenticity, or cannabis compliance and characterization
Applicants must submit:
- An abstract (300 word maximum) describing the research that details the objective and applicability of the work, the methodology, results, and conclusions. Applicants must demonstrate how their work advances applied analytical capabilities that support food or cannabis testing
- Two letters of recommendation and proof of supervisory/faculty support of the submission
- Applicant and advisor contact information
- Semester and year in which the applicant began their graduate program
- Personal statement of applicant’s educational and career objectives (no more than 3,000 characters without spaces)
- Current transcript (in PDF format)
The application deadline was May 14, 2021.
Winners will be selected by an AOAC INTERNATIONAL committee of experts.