The “Testing for Life” Student Award, supported by contributions from the Eurofins Foundation, is designed to encourage student researchers who are advancing basic or applied science in analytical or molecular testing for food safety, food security, food defense, food authenticity, or health and environmental protection.
Previous student award winners in these categories are not eligible for further awards.
Student applicants must:
- Be enrolled full-time in a degree-granting program (undergraduate or graduate)
- Be engaged in basic or applied research in support of analytical or molecular testing for food safety, food security, food defense, food authenticity, or health and environmental protection
Prize and Expectations for the Winner(s)
- $3,000 cash prize
- AOAC student membership
- Complimentary registration to attend the AOAC Annual Meeting
- A travel fund to attend the AOAC Annual Meeting for up to 4 nights, in accordance with the AOAC Travel Policy
- Formal recognition during the Annual Meeting’s opening session and in the AOAC bi-monthly magazine, Inside Laboratory Management (ILM)
- Two-day, external mentorship experience tailored to their current research activities and work experience
Winners will be expected to prepare a poster to describe the award-winning research. Posters will be showcased during a regularly scheduled poster session at the annual meeting. Winners will also be required to prepare and give a 10-minute oral presentation as part of a mini-symposium to feature research by young scientists.
Benefits of this prize are non-transferable.
All applicants must provide:
- An abstract (300 word maximum) describing the research that details the objective and applicability for the work, methodology, results, and conclusions. Applicants must demonstrate the innovative nature and the value of the research and how it advances the analytical capabilities in support of food and/or agriculture safety
- Two letters of recommendation
- Other pertinent supporting documentation
- Supervisory/faculty concurrence in support of the submission package and for participation in the mentorship portion of the prize
Applications are due by Tuesday, April 18, 2023.