This AOAC Award, supported by contributions from the Eurofins Foundation, is designed to encourage student researchers who are advancing basic or applied science in analytical or molecular testing for food safety, food security, food defense, food authenticity, or health and environmental protection.
Eligibility, application guidelines, and Award details
Please read the eligibility and submissions guidelines below before submitting your application.
- Student applicants enrolled full-time in a degree-granting
program (undergraduate or graduate);
- Research can be basic or applied in support of analytical or
molecular testing for food safety, food security, food defense, food
authenticity, or health and environmental protection.
All applicants must provide:
- An abstract (300 word maximum) describing the research that details the objective and applicability for the work, the methodology, results, and conclusions. Applicants must demonstrate the innovative nature and the value of the research and how it advances the analytical capabilities in support of food and/or agriculture safety.
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Other pertinent supporting documentation,
- Supervisory/faculty concurrence in support of the submission package and for participation in the mentorship portion of the prize.
Deadline for applications is March 31. Awardees will be notified in June.
Prize and Expectations for
- All winners will be awarded a cash prize of $3,000,
- All winners will be awarded a complimentary 1-year membership in AOAC INTERNATIONAL to include all rights and benefits,
- All winners will be provided complimentary travel, lodging and registration to attend the 2020 AOAC INTERNATIONAL Annual Meeting,
- All winners will be formally recognized during the meeting’s opening session and in the AOAC bi-monthly magazine, Inside Laboratory Management (ILM),
- All winners will be expected to prepare a poster to describe the award-winning research. Posters will be showcased during a regularly scheduled poster session at the annual meeting. Winners will also be required to prepare and give a 10-minute oral presentation as part of a mini-symposium to feature research by young scientists,
- All winners will be provided with a 2-day, external mentorship experience tailored to their current research activities and work experience,
- Up to 5 prizes will be awarded.