AOAC Call for Posters is Now Closed
Posters will be available for viewing in the Poster Hall of the New Orleans Marriott. Posters and abstracts will also be available on the AOAC mobile app (to registered attendees). At least ONE of the poster authors MUST attend the AOAC Annual Meeting to submit a poster. Virtual attendance is NOT an option in 2023.
2023 Poster Schedule
Posters will be available for viewing on the dates and times below.
Poster Presenter Hour: The Poster Presenter Hour provides an opportunity for attendees to meet and interact with the poster presenters. The Poster Presenter Hour will be between noon and 1:00 PM on the day the poster is scheduled.
Poster Set–Up: Poster authors may set up their poster between 7:30 AM – 9:45 AM on the day their poster is scheduled.
Poster Tear Down: Poster authors must take down their poster by 6:00 PM on the day their poster is scheduled. Posters left up after the tear-down period will be removed by AOAC staff. AOAC is not responsible for lost or damaged posters.
2023 Poster Categories
Monday, August 28, 2023 | 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Microbiological Methods—Microbiological methods for food and the environment
- Laboratory Automation—Approaches implementing technology to increase throughput or improve data quality
- Genomics—Novel approaches to the application of sequencing technology to ensure food and supplement quality and safety
- Performance Tested MethodsSM—Validated methods for programs requiring increased confidence and method reproducibility information
- Botanicals and Dietary Supplements—Chemical methods or other developments related to botanicals and dietary supplements
- General Methods, Quality Assurance, and Accreditation—Methods that do not fit in any of the other categories as well as general approaches and developments in quality assurance and accreditation
Tuesday, August 29, 2023 | 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Detection and Measurement of Non-Foodborne Contaminants and Residues—Methods related to the analysis of contaminants and residues externally added (e.g., pesticides and veterinary drugs) but not natural toxins like mycotoxins or PSP
- Detection and Measurement of Foodborne Contaminants and Residues— Methods related to the analysis of contaminants and residues naturally present or produced during processing (e.g., heavy metals, mycotoxins, PSP, acrylamide, 3-MCPD) but not something administered by man, such as pesticides or veterinary drugs
- Agriculture and Environment—Chemical methods related to the analysis of environmental and agriculture samples
- Data Analytics—Novel approaches for use of advanced pattern recognition and other tools for interpretation of data to ensure food and supplement quality and safety
Wednesday, August 30, 2023 | 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Hemp and Cannabis—Novel approaches for the analysis of cannabis products, including hemp
- Food Authenticity/Food Fraud—Methods to determine truthfulness of identity of ingredients in foods and to detect deliberate fraudulent actions on foods
- Food Nutrition and Food Allergens—Methods related to determination of nutritional content of foods and/or the detection of food allergens
- Miscellaneous—Topics that are not covered within the other poster presentation topics liste
- Posters should stimulate discussion, not give a long presentation. Therefore, keep text to a minimum, emphasize graphics and make sure every item is necessary.
- Include the title of your presentation. AOAC INTERNATIONAL will not post the title on display boards.
- Prepare as many individual poster display pieces as required (four to eight is standard) to outline your work clearly and concisely. For collaborative studies, you may choose to include the purpose of the study, the experimental design, results, conclusions and recommendations. Space your information proportionally.
- Use large and legible lettering that is easily readable from a distance of 3 feet or more. Text material should be printed from a laser printer with a font size large enough to read from a distance. Simple use of color can be used to add emphasis if needed.
- Photographs, illustrations and graphics are encouraged, and should be at least 9”x12” to ensure visibility.
- Optional Materials: If you wish, you may prepare handouts for distribution to interested scientists. Some authors may also wish to provide business cards/contact information for the daylong display times.
Display Board Size
Poster boards are 4 feet (1.2 meters) vertically by 8 feet (2.4 meters) horizontally (take off approximately 1.5″ each way to account for border) and are supported by legs extending to the floor. Display materials may be affixed to the boards with push pins (provided on-site at the meeting.)
Poster board numbers will be assigned mid-August. Please visit the AOAC Annual Meeting mobile app for poster board assignments.
Transporting Poster Materials
Hand-carry your poster materials to the Annual Meeting. Do not mail your poster to the meeting site or to AOAC INTERNATIONAL. The presenter is responsible for all poster materials.
Contest for First-Time AOAC Poster Presenters
This contest encourages active participation from first-time AOAC poster presenters to showcase their analytical work in the relevant areas of fields of research that fit the scope of AOAC.
- The AOAC-TPC (Technical Programming Council) will appoint a panel of judges representing expertise from diverse areas of analytical communities of AOAC.
- The posters will be evaluated based on content, oral delivery, discussion with presenters (Q&A), and overall formatting during the author’s presentation. Eligibility to participate will be limited to first-time poster submitters only. Submitters will be required to check off a button in the CATALYST site.
- The top five posters will be awarded certificates. The names of the winning poster authors will be announced during the Annual Meeting at the AOAC Business Meeting on Wednesday, August 30, 2023.
- Winners will be published in the 2023 November/December issue of Inside Laboratory Management (ILM).
JAOAC Poster Publication
Poster presenters are encouraged to submit full Journal papers along with their posters, for consideration of publication in the Journal of AOAC INTERNATIONAL. These submissions will undergo Journal peer review, and if accepted, the papers will be published in the online Journal and in print. For more information, contact Jennifer Diatz at the AOAC Publications Department. Submissions for the Journal must accompany the poster presentations.
If you have questions regarding the poster submission process, please contact Jennifer Diatz.